In 2017 professional American football player Tom Brady created the TB12 method, also known as the Tom Brady diet that contains the athlete’s twelve guides for sustained peak performance. The Tom Brady diet can enhance sports performance, recovery, and general health (minimize inflammation, reduce risk of injuries), although some diet followers expect to reduce weight or feel more energized only.
In this article, we have gathered information about the Tom Brady diet, how to follow it, how it can help you on your weight loss journey, which food to eat and avoid, and diet benefits.
TOM BRADY DIET RULES
- The core of the Tom Brady diet is locally grown, organic, and minimally processed food. This diet combines the rules of the Mediterranean, alkaline, and anti-inflammatory diets, and meals are focused on the combination of fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, legumes, whole grains, meat, and fish. Advice is to avoid dairy products, oils, food rich in gluten, alcohol, caffeine, and trans fats.
If you are thinking about starting this diet, you should also consider following the next three rules:
- Be careful with food combining.
- Do not mix fruit with other food
–Avoid eating food rich in proteins (meat/fish) with food rich in carbs(brown rice/sweet potatoes)
- Drink a lot of fluids.
-Drink water, but avoid it during the meals
- Time meals carefully.
-Avoid eating three hours before bedtime
TOM BRADY DIET AND WEIGHT REDUCTION
The Tom Brady diet insist on the reduction of the number of calories you intake per day. This diet is known for its strict rules considering the limited intake of processed food and specific food combination mechanism, and that doesn’t leave much room for planning a variety of meals. In a study by L. Brondel et al. under the title “Variety enhances food intake in humans: role of sensory-specific satiety” it is noted that monotonous meals may help you intake to 40% calories less than usual.
A calorie deficit is causing weight reduction meaning that the Tom Brady diet increases your chances of losing weight.
Intake of fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, seeds, and drinking a lot of fluids during the day is mandatory during this diet. A study by Danielle N. Cooper et al. under the title “Does Whole Grain Consumption Alter Gut Microbiota and Satiety?” and a study by Vinu Ashok Kumar Vij and Anjali S Joshi under the title “Effect of excessive water intake on body weight, body mass index, body fat, and appetite of overweight female participants” showed that fiber-riched diets and high water intake help with reducing hunger and cravings.
FOOD TO EAT AND AVOID DURING TOM BRADY DIET
The main rule you should consider while maintaining the Tom Brady diet is to eat minimally processed food such as:
- Meats: Advice is to eat thinner meats such as chicken, steak, and duck.
- Fish and seafood: It is suggested for fish to be wild-caught rather than farmed.
- Fruits and vegetables: These should be seasonal and organic, preferably locally grown.
- Grains: such as rice, quinoa, oats, millet, buckwheat, and amaranth.
- Legumes: This category includes all beans, peas, and lentils, with an exception when it comes to soybeans and products derived from them.
- TB12 products and supplements: such as whey protein powder, vegan protein bars, electrolyte and nut mixes, and granola.
- Intake of the following food is forbidden during the Tom Brady diet:
- Food rich in gluten: such as bread, pasta, breakfast cereals, pastries, and other food made out of wheat flour.
- Food and drinks rich in caffeine: Consider avoiding coffee, tea, energy drinks, and chocolate.
- Dairy products: such as milk, cheese, and yogurt.
- Processed grains: such as white pasta, white bread, and white rice.
- Cooking oils: Almost all cooking oils are forbidden, except for coconut oil (for cooking) and olive oil (salad dressings).
- Processed foods: such as candy and soft drinks.
- Alcohol: All types of drinks based on alcohol should be avoided.
TOM BRADY DIET BENEFITS
Several health benefits may occur during the Tom Brady diet. Among them, we can single out improved cardiovascular health, reduced inflammation, and improved athletic performance and recovery.
In a study by Jordi Salas-Salvadó et al. under the title “Effect of a Mediterranean diet supplemented with nuts on metabolic syndrome status: one-year results of the PREDIMED randomized trial” it is noted that high blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar could stay under control with a proper diet. The Tom Brady diet is rich in fruits, vegetables, and unprocessed food, and these products occur to stabilize heart health, according to the studies in this particular field. In a study by Andreia Oliveira under the title “Alcohol intake and systemic markers of inflammation–shape of the association according to sex and body mass index” it is proven that alcohol avoidance reduces inflammation processes in your body. The Tom Brady diet is rich in vitamins, minerals, and healthy plant compounds that work together to strengthen your immune system which is essential for sports performance and recovery.